Link to HTCP full bio

Link to HTCP full bio
Click this logo for a full bio

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

“Here’s to you, Babe”

At exactly 6:55 pm tonight, I filled a crystal glass with ice, poured in the single malt scotch that George gave me last Friday, and walked down to the pond, and toasted my wife, my best friend, Angelique. It was her favorite spot in this mortal world. The water level is, of course, down. Cracks in the earth are huge. We beseeched her to send down some rain, but what with the trouble she had peeing for the last month, she probably could not conjure up any rain either.

She passed from this earth exactly one week ago. I thought it was befitting to give her such a tribute tonight. As I was raising my crystal glass to the heavens, a big ol’ bass hit something on the surface of the lake and made that “bloomp” sound that she so loved to hear. It was so sad, yet so sublime.

It is hard to fathom that it has been a week. There has been so much to do. It’s unreal how much activity there is when a loved one dies. Many have been here for me, but the bulk of the details has fallen on me. I still feel exhausted. The first few nights I couldn’t sleep, then I’ve tried to catch up the last couple of nights. I’ve slept better, but with sleep, comes dreams. Dreams of her. Dreams that she’s still here. I don’t want to stop seeing her walk and talk, but at the same time, I need the closure that comes from her disappearing from my dreams. Holy shit! I wish Bailey already had that psychology degree…or was it a drama degree? Crap, at this point, what’s the difference?

Our Relay for Life will fall on 9/19, exactly one month after Angelique’s passing. Here’s hoping we remember the kleenex.

Thanks for caring. Stay tuned…

5 comments:

  1. So many nights I have read your blog and so many times I have wanted to reach out with something comforting . . . and each time I stop myself. Chris, she is always going to be with us. Everywhere we look we will see something that reminds us of her. Weird enough, this is giving me some comfort. She will never be forgotten. She will always be loved ...and she will always love us and watch over us - she promised. She never said anything she didn't mean.
    I am truly going to miss my friend.....
    take care
    b

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love ya man. Russell

    ReplyDelete
  3. As i try to read with out crying no way i miss her bad not use to not seeing her or earing her will take along time to heal. Love you all Bro in law.JWCooper

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are so many times that I hear her deep laugh and miss her shoot from the hip truths. Time may pass, but we will always have her in our hearts and the memories that we each cherish. I believe her motto: if life gives you salt and lime, make margaritas!
    I miss her tremendously!
    hak

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris, you probably don't know me. My mom and step-dad are Joyce and John Wied. I think you and Angelique were at my wedding almost six years ago. Mom gave me the link to your blog, and I have been faithfully reading it for over two months now. I am so sorry for your loss, but I want you to know that I can only pray that if I am ever faced with the challenges you have had to endure over the last three+ years, that I will be able to remain as steadfast and strong as you have been. I know Angelique must have been an amazing woman, and her name serves her very well. I truly believe she is an angel that will watch over all of you until you meet again! Take care of yourself, and thank you for allowing even those of us that you may not know so well to get to know what a wonderful wife you have loved! And thanks for showing us that it's possible to stay strong, even when it seems impossible. God bless!

    Heather Muesse

    ReplyDelete